WEST HAVEN, Vt. – Tim LaDuc saw an opportunity present itself at Devil’s Bowl Speedway on Saturday, September 11, and he seized it. The veteran dirt Modified racer from Orwell, Vt., grabbed his second win of the season on Heritage Family Credit Union “Member Night” and is now in the hunt for his first track championship in 21 years. Other winners on the fun-filled night included Troy Audet, Chris Murray, Adam Mahoney, Chase Allen, Kamden Duffy, and Randy Edson.
LaDuc’s win in the headline Sportsman Modified division came just at the right time, as a wave of change hit the point standings. Previous championship leader Demetrios Drellos made the decision to pursue the Super DIRTcar Series schedule, leaving the door wide open for Justin Comes and LaDuc to battle it out in the final month of the season. LaDuc struck first, taking his second win of the year.
Jimmy Davis was the star of the show in the first half of the 30-lap feature race, giving a much-needed boost to the struggling Larry Gallipo team. Davis, a long-time driver who joined the Devil’s Bowl grind in mid-August, bolted into the lead from the pole position at the start of the race. His big lead was erased by back-to-back caution flags on lap 16, though, and that allowed LaDuc to have a shot. Davis put up a good fight, but LaDuc took over and cruised to the victory – the 55th of his career at Devil’s Bowl. Davis settled for the runner-up finish.
Marty Kelly III had some intense battles inside the top five all race long, finally taking third place. Tanner Siemons was fourth and rookie Anthony Warren scored his fifth top-five finish of the year in fifth place. Comes was sixth ahead of Frank Hoard III, Josh Masterson, Vince Quenneville, and Brian Whittemore.
Qualifying heats were won by Siemons, Davis, and Jimmy Ryan. Comes is the new leader in the title fight at 856 points with LaDuc just 11 points back. Despite missing the event, Drellos holds second place at 847, and LaDuc sits third at 845.
Something lit a fire under Troy Audet in the O’Reilly Auto Parts Limited Sportsman division, and the flame has only gotten hotter. The Bridport, Vt., racer – in his first year in a Modified – has lost just one race since August 15, and he posted his third consecutive win in his division’s 25-lap feature on Heritage Family Credit Union Night.
Teenagers Cody O’Brien and Evan Roberts took turns leading, with O’Brien pacing the field for the first 11 circuits before Roberts took over. Roberts had things under control, but Audet wiggled free from traffic after starting 17th and caught Roberts in dramatic fashion with two laps to go. Roberts led at the white flag to begin the last lap, but Audet snuck under him in Turn 1 and the pair dueled for the final half-mile. Audet pulled ahead in Turn 3 and beat Roberts to the line by 0.350-seconds.
O’Brien was third ahead of Dakota Green and A.J. Munger. Austin Comes finished sixth with Steve Pope, Alex Layn, John Gosselin, and Craig Wholey in tow. Roberts, O’Brien, and Timmy Aldrighetti won the heats. Beau Reeves won the consolation race and Bubba McPhee took the last-chance B-Main qualifier. Audet has opened up a 35-point cushion on Comes in the championship standings, 839-804.
The box score for the Super Stock division will show that Fair Haven, Vt.’s Chris Murray continued his seemingly-unstoppable run with his 11th win of the season, but that would do little justice to actual race. Rookie Chuck Bradford showed the way for the first 10 laps as Murray reeled him in. Murray took the lead on lap 11 and appeared to be pulling away, but the yellow flag flew and kept Bradford close.
At the restart, Bradford worked over Murray and hung right in over the final four laps. Bradford had his nose ahead of Murray in the final corner, but Murray buzzed ahead right at the checkered flag, winning in a photo finish by 0.051-seconds. Jim McKiernan took third place ahead of Paul Braymer and Josh Bussino. Heats were won by Murray and first-time visitor Jason McClatchie. Murray is in position to clinch his third championship, holding a 46-point lead on Braymer, 979-933, as the Super Stock division has its final point-counting event on Saturday night.
The rookies continue to shine in the Mini Stock division, now having won seven of the last nine “A” feature races, dating back to July 31. Rutland, Vt.’s Adam Mahoney led a family parade near the front of the pack in the 15-lapper and scored his second victory after taking the lead from older brother Griff with five laps remaining. Point leader Chris Sumner came from 16th to finish second, with Griff Mahoney third.
Tom Severance was a career-best fourth with Brian Blake fifth. First-time Devil’s Bowl racer Codey Agoney was an impressive sixth ahead of Daryl Gebo, Mark Mahoney – cousin of Adam and Griff – Lynn Denton, and Derrick Counter. Qualifying heats were won by Counter, Blake, and Jarrod Colburn.
Another rookie, Fair Haven, Vt.’s Chase Allen, won the 10-lap Mini Stock “B” feature for the second-straight week. The 15-year-old took the lead from fellow freshman Damian Olden three laps in, and he then held off a spirited charge by veteran Ronnie Alger. Tyler Bell was third ahead of Austin McKirryher and Jake Mallory.
Thirteen-year-old Kamden Duffy had an easy go of it in the 15-lap feature for the Friend Construction 500cc Mini Sprint division. The Richmond, N.H., native passed Scott Bachand on the second lap and ran away in the caution-free race for his sixth victory of the season. Roger LaDuc, 65, scored a career-best finish as the runner-up, followed by John Smith, Gage Provencher, and point leader Ray Hanson.
Duffy and Kevin Smith won the qualifiers. Orwell, Vt.’s Hanson has an insurmountable 64-point lead on young Kaidin White (1,019-955) and will officially wrap up his first championship on Saturday night.
In addition to their regular winnings, 11 drivers collected extra cash from the New York State Stock Car Association. Earning $75 each as the highest finishing NYSSCA members in their respective divisions were Tim LaDuc, Cody O’Brien, Chris Murray, Jake Barrows, and Ray Hanson. Collecting $50 bonuses as the NYSSCA runners-up were Marty Kelly III, Dakota Green, Josh Bussino, Jarrod Colburn, and Tommy Kasuba, and Brian Whittemore grabbed a $50 “Wild Card” bonus.
The popular – and often hilarious – Street-Legal Spectator Races returned with a new twist, as passengers were allowed for the first time. Facing off one-on-one in one-lap elimination races, Jeff Assmann advanced through three rounds to beat Ryan Keays among the sedan entries, while Orwell, Vt.’s Randy Edson did the same to beat Eric Friend in the big iron. The two-lap finale saw Edson’s giant, four-door 2006 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax beat Assmann’s sleek 2012 Volkswagen Jetta GLI to the delight of the crowd.
Friend Construction presents Championship Night for the Super Stock and 500cc Mini Sprint divisions on Saturday, September 18 at 6:00 p.m., along with free Kids Racecar Rides at intermission. The Sportsman Modified, Limited Sportsman, and Mini Stock divisions will also be in action.
Grandstand general admission is $12 for adults and $5 for children aged 12 and under. Tickets are available online at https://buytickets.at/devilsbowlspeedway and at the speedway on race day. Infield drive-in parking is $20 for adults and free for children. Infield passes are sold only at the track on race day. Pit passes are $25 for members and $35 for non-members, available at the speedway or on the “Pit Pay” Mobile App; the minimum age in the pit area is 10 years old, with proof of age required for minors, per Vermont State Law.
Devil’s Bowl Speedway is located on Route 22A in West Haven, Vt., four miles north of U.S. Route 4, Exit 2, and just 20 minutes from Rutland, Vt. For more information, visit http://www.DevilsBowlSpeedwayVT.com or call (802) 265-3112. Devil’s Bowl Speedway is on Facebook at facebook.com/DevilsBowlSpeedway, and on Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat at @DevilsBowlSpeed; follow the action using the #DevilsBowl hashtag.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – Heritage Family Credit Union “Member Night”
Devil’s Bowl Speedway – West Haven, Vt.
Saturday, September 11, 2021
Sportsman Modified Feature (30 laps)
# – denotes rookie
1. (11) Tim LaDuc, Orwell, Vt.
2. (1) Jimmy Davis, Amsterdam, N.Y.
3. (5) Marty Kelly III, North Bennington, Vt.
4. (3) Tanner Siemons, Orford, N.H.
5. (7) # Anthony Warren, Shoreham, Vt.
6. (10) Justin Comes, Middlebury, Vt.
7. (12) Frank Hoard III, Manchester Center, Vt.
8. (6) Josh Masterson, Bristol, Vt.
9. (17) Vince Quenneville, Brandon, Vt.
10. (4) Brian Whittemore, Pittsford, Vt.
11. (14) Todd Stone, Middlebury, Vt.
12. (16) Mike Fisher, Castleton, Vt.
13. (8) Billy Lussier, Fair Haven, Vt.
14. (9) Justin Stone, Middlebury, Vt.
15. (15) Brent Warren, Salisbury, Vt.
16. (2) Adam Piper, Leicester, Vt.
17. (13) Jimmy Ryan, Shoreham, Vt.
18. (18) # Shawn McPhee, Rutland, Vt.
Lap Leaders: Jimmy Davis, 1-16; Tim LaDuc, 17-30. (1 lead change among 2 drivers)
Cautions (2): Laps 16, 16.
Heat Winners: Tanner Siemons, Jimmy Davis, Jimmy Ryan
Elmo’s Pit Stop 9th Place Bonus ($100): Vince Quenneville
NYSSCA Member Bonus ($75): Tim LaDuc
NYSSCA Member Bonus ($50): Marty Kelly III
NYSSCA Member “Wild Card” Bonus ($50): Brian Whittemore
O’Reilly Auto Parts Limited Sportsman Feature (25 laps)
1. (17) Troy Audet, Bridport, Vt.
2. (9) Evan Roberts, Fletcher, Vt.
3. (2) Cody O’Brien, Springfield, Vt.
4. (10) Dakota Green, Cambridge, N.Y.
5. (6) A.J. Munger, Benson Landing, Vt.
6. (16) Austin Comes, Middlebury, Vt.
7. (13) Steve Pope, Shoreham, Vt.
8. (7) Alex Layn, New Haven, Vt.
9. (4) John Gosselin, Shoreham, Vt.
10. (12) Craig Wholey, Bolton Landing, N.Y.
11. (19) Beau Reeves, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
12. (21) Jason Quenneville, Quechee, Vt.
13. (11) Dylan Madsen, Spencertown, N.Y.
14. (18) Kyle Huntington, Bradford, Vt.
15. (8) Justin Lilly, Castleton, Vt.
16. (5) Josh Nelson, Bristol, Vt.
17. (1) Wade Acker, Bristol, Vt.
18. (24) John McPhee Jr., Rutland, Vt.
19. (20) Gary English, Salisbury, Vt.
20. (3) Timmy Aldrighetti, Bethel, Vt.
21. (23) Katrina Bean, Benson, Vt.
22. (22) Kyle Kerr, Shoreham, Vt.
23. (14) Anthony Ryan, Benson, Vt.
24. (15) Randy Ryan, Orwell, Vt.
Did Not Qualify (12 drivers): Russ Farr, Granville, N.Y.; Josh Paige, Orwell, Vt.; Mike McGinn, Elizabethtown, N.Y.; Brent Bouplon, Eagle Bridge, N.Y.; Matt Jordan, Cambridge, N.Y.; William Lussier Jr., Fair Haven, Vt.; Bill Duprey, Hydeville, Vt.
Lap Leaders: Wade Acker, pole; Cody O’Brien, 1-11; Evan Roberts, 12-24; Troy Audet, 25. (3 lead changes among 4 drivers)
Cautions (5): Laps 1, 2, 4, 11, 11.
Heat Winners: Evan Roberts, Cody O’Brien, Timmy Aldrighetti
Consi Winner: Beau Reeves
B-Main Winner: John McPhee Jr.
NYSSCA Member Bonus ($75): Cody O’Brien
NYSSCA Member Bonus ($50): Dakota Green
Super Stock Feature (15 laps)
# – denotes rookie
1. (7) Chris Murray, Fair Haven, Vt.
2. (1) # Chuck Bradford, Addison, Vt.
3. (4) Jim McKiernan, Moriah Center, N.Y.
4. (6) Paul Braymer, Granville, N.Y.
5. (5) Josh Bussino, Fair Haven, Vt.
6. (10) Jason McClatchie, Plattsburgh, N.Y.
7. (3) Tony Salerno, Mineville, N.Y.
8. (2) Mike Bussino, Mount Holly, Vt.
9. (8) Donnie Williams, Ripton, Vt.
10. (11) Steve Marcoux, Fair Haven, Vt. (substitute for Andrew FitzGerald)
11. (9) Scott Layton, Fair Haven, Vt.
Lap Leaders: Chuck Bradford, 1-10; Chris Murray, 11-15. (1 lead change among 2 drivers)
Cautions (1): Lap 11.
Heat Winners: Chris Murray, Jason McClatchie
NYSSCA Member Bonus ($75): Chris Murray
NYSSCA Member Bonus ($50): Josh Bussino
Mini Stock “A” Feature (15 laps)
# – denotes rookie
1. (12) # Adam Mahoney, Rutland, Vt.
2. (15) Chris Sumner, Ripton, Vt.
3. (2) Griff Mahoney, Bristol, Vt.
4. (7) Tom Severance, Fair Haven, Vt.
5. (16) Brian Blake, Cornwall, Vt.
6. (19) Codey Agoney, West Chazy, N.Y.
7. (18) # Daryl Gebo, Orwell, Vt.
8. (10) # Mark Mahoney, Brandon, Vt.
9. (8) Lynn Denton, Milton, Vt.
10. (13) Derrick Counter, Leicester, Vt.
11. (11) # Scott Chandler, Pittsford, Vt.
12. (4) Carol Moss, Fair Haven, Vt.
13. (14) Jake Barrows, Middlebury, Vt.
14. (6) Jarrod Colburn, Rutland, Vt.
15. (5) Willie Rice, Poultney, Vt.
16. (17) Craig Kirby, St. Albans, Vt.
17. (20) Mat Parker, Peru, N.Y.
18. (3) # Cody Dion, Rutland, Vt.
19. (9) # Jason Kerr, Shoreham, Vt.
20. (1) # Chris Hewitt, Pittsford, Vt.
Did Not Start (1 driver): # Hunter Clark, Salisbury, Vt.
Lap Leaders: Chris Hewitt, pole; Griff Mahoney, 1-10; Adam Mahoney, 11-15. (2 lead changes among 3 drivers)
Heat Winners: Derrick Counter, Brian Blake, Jarrod Colburn
NYSSCA Member Bonus ($75): Jake Barrows
NYSSCA Member Bonus ($50): Jarrod Colburn
Mini Stock “B” Feature (10 laps)
# – denotes rookie
1. (3) # Chase Allen, Fair Haven, Vt.
2. (5) Ron Alger, Orwell, Vt.
3. (6) Tyler Bell, Peru, N.Y. (substitute for Clemmy Bell)
4. (7) # Austin McKirryher, Proctor, Vt.
5. (2) # Jake Mallory, Granville, N.Y.
6. (4) # Donald Olden, Poultney, Vt.
7. (1) # Damian Olden, Poultney, Vt.
Did Not Start (4 drivers): Joe Malzac, East Middlebury, Vt.; # Jakobee Alger, Orwell, Vt.; Freddy Burch, Middle Granville, N.Y.; Troy Morin, Keeseville, N.Y.
Lap Leaders: Damian Olden, 1-3; Chase Allen, 4-10. (1 lead change among 2 drivers)
Friend Construction 500cc Mini Sprint Feature (15 laps)
# – denotes rookie
1. (5) Kamden Duffy, Richmond, N.H.
2. (2) Roger LaDuc, Orwell, Vt.
3. (6) John Smith, Poultney, Vt.
4. (3) # Gage Provencher, Bridport, Vt.
5. (8) Ray Hanson, Orwell, Vt.
6. (7) Kaidin White, Monkton, Vt.
7. (1) Scott Bachand, St. Albans, Vt.
8. (4) Kevin Smith, Brandon, Vt.
9. (9) # Tommy Kasuba, Castleton, Vt.
10. (10) # Kris Severance, Fair Haven, Vt.
Lap Leaders: Scott Bachand, 1; Kamden Duffy, 2-15. (1 lead change among 2 drivers)
Heat Winners: Kamden Duffy, Kevin Smith
NYSSCA Member Bonus ($75): Ray Hanson
NYSSCA Member Bonus ($50): Tommy Kasuba
Street-Legal Spectator Races
Randy Edson, Orwell, Vt., def. Jeff Assmann, Rotterdam, N.Y.
Source: Justin St. Louis, Media Director