As expected, the Canadian Grand Prix is off for 2021.
COVID-19 restrictions in Canada that included 14-day self-quarantine rules for visitors into the country and concerns over large crowds in Montreal led to the cancellation of the race for the second consecutive year. The race had been scheduled for June 13 at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
F1 teams and officials were being asked to adhere to quarantine rules that F1 said would have made it impossible for them to do their jobs and stick to their 2021 world schedule.
Instead, Formula 1 will race at Istanbul Park in Turkey—a venue that was used as a replacement for the cancelled Canadian race in 2020
“While it is disappointing we cannot be in Canada this season we are excited to confirm that Turkey will host a Grand Prix in 2021 after an amazing race last season,” F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said in a press release issued on Wednesday. “I know all our fans are excited by the dramatic start to the season and Turkey is a great circuit that delivers great battles on the track.”
Canada is not expected to lose its place on the 2022 schedule. In fact, F1 has has added the two missed years to its contract and extend Canada’s race deal through 2031. Canada is again likely to assume its June date on the Formula 1 calendar, where it will likely be paired with the newcomer to the schedule, the F1 Miami Grand Prix.