The traditional season-opening event of the NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series was bumped out of the leadoff spot and into April because of fan restrictions at Pomona (Calif.) Raceway.
Well, the event is moving once again.
NHRA officials announced today the postponement of the 61st annual Lucas Oil NHRA Winternationals presented by ProtectTheHarvest.com at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona, originally scheduled for April 9-11. NHRA and track officials will continue to look to state and federal health officials for recommendations to host events in California.
A new date for the event is to be determined. Finding a date may not be as easy as it sounds, as the NHRA schedule is a crowded on from May through October. Two windows that would appear to be possibilities appear to be July 9-11, which would make the event as the kickoff to the Western Swing. The weekend of Aug. 6-8 is also currently open, and that would make Pomona the closing race of the swing.
“We are confident we will find a new date for the Lucas Oil NHRA Winternationals,” said Kasey Coler, NHRA vice president of Track Management & Operations. “We are working closely with California health officials to come to an agreement as to the best dates for the event.”
NHRA officials say they are determined to complete 22 national events. Currently 19 events are on the schedule, one (Gainesville) is in the rear view mirror, and now Pomona is looking for a date. Another event (Tulsa, maybe?) has yet to be announced to complete the 22-race slate for 2021.
All racing is currently on pause at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona, where the track is currently serving as a COVID-19 vaccination site.
2021 NHRA CAMPING WORLD DRAG RACING SERIES
- April 16-18 – DENSO Spark Plugs NHRA Four-Wide Nationals, Las Vegas
- April 30-May 2 – NHRA Southern Nationals, Atlanta
- May 14-16 – NGK Spark Plugs NHRA Four-Wide Nationals, Charlotte, N.C.
- May 21-23 – Mopar Express Lane NHRA SpringNationals, Houston
- June 4-6 – Virginia NHRA Nationals, Richmond, Va.
- June 11-13 – NHRA New England Nationals, Epping, N.H.
- June 24-27 – Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals, Norwalk, Ohio
- July 16-18 – Dodge Mile-High NHRA Nationals, Denver
- July 23-25 – NHRA Sonoma Nationals, Sonoma, Calif.
- July 30-Aug.1 – Flav-R-Pac Northwest Nationals, Seattle
- Aug. 13-15 – Menards NHRA Heartland Nationals, Topeka, Kan.
- Aug.19-22 – Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals, Brainerd, Minn.
- Sept. 1-5 – NHRA U.S. Nationals, Indianapolis
NHRA Camping World Countdown to the Championship
- Sept. 9-12 – NHRA Nationals, Reading, Pa.
- Sept. 17-19 – NTK NHRA Carolina Nationals, Charlotte, N.C
- Sept. 24-26 – NHRA Midwest Nationals, St. Louis
- Oct. 7-10 – Texas NHRA FallNationals, Dallas
- Oct. 29-31 – Dodge NHRA Nationals, Las Vegas
- Nov. 12-14 – Auto Club NHRA FinalsPomona, Calif.
Postponed: NHRA Winternationals at Pomona
Canceled: Arizona Nationals
Source: Auto Week