Date: May 24, 2020
Event: Coca-Cola 600
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Charlotte (N.C.) Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval)
Format: 400 laps, broken into four stages (100 laps/100 laps/100 laps/100 laps)
Start/Finish: 22nd/6th (Running, completed 405 of 405 laps)
Point Standing: (1st with 289 points, 22 points ahead of Joey Logano)
Note: Race extended five laps past its scheduled 400-lap distance due to a green-white-checkered finish.
Race Winner: Brad Keselowski of Team Penske (Ford)
Stage 1 Winner: Alex Bowman of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 2 Winner: Alex Bowman of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 3 Winner: Joey Logano of Team Penske (Ford)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-100):
● Kevin Harvick started 22nd and finished 14th.
● The No. 4 Busch Light Ford Mustang was lacking rear grip early in the race while in 22nd-place.
● On lap 24, Harvick brought his car to pit road for four tires, fuel and a tire pressure and chassis adjustment. Came out in 19th place.
● After a rain-delay of more than an hour, Harvick pitted on lap 54 for four tires, fuel and a chassis adjustment. He was 16th.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 101-200):
● Harvick started 18th and finished 11th.
● The No. 4 Busch Light Ford Mustang pitted on lap 102 for four tires, fuel and a tire pressure and chassis adjustment. Crew is taking a big swing at it.
● On lap 153, Harvick pitted for four tires, fuel and a tire pressure adjustment. Was in 13th place.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 201-300):
● Harvick started ninth and finished 19th.
● The No. 4 Busch Light Ford Mustang came to pit road on lap 205 for four tires, fuel and an air pressure adjustment. Car is still lacking rear grip.
● On lap 256, Harvick pitted for four tires, fuel and a tire pressure and chassis adjustment.
● He did not pit and restarted second late in the stage. However, he fell to 19th.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 301-400):
● Harvick started 17th and finished sixth.
● The No. 4 Busch Light Ford Mustang pitted on lap 303 for four tires, fuel and a tire pressure and chassis adjustment.
● On lap 350, Harvick pitted for four tires, fuel and a tire pressure adjustment. Will restart 12th.
● Harvick pitted on lap 400 for four tires as the race went into overtime.
● On the overtime restart, Harvick moved from 13th to sixth-place, which was the highest he’d been all day.
● Brad Keselowski won the Coca-Cola 600 to score his 31st career NASCAR Cup Series victory, his first of the season and his second on the oval at Charlotte. His margin of victory over second-place Jimmie Johnson was .293 of a second.
● There were eight caution periods for a total of 52 laps.
● Only 20 of the 40 drivers in the Coca-Cola 600 finished on the lead lap.
● Harvick remains the championship leader after the Coca-Cola 600 with a 22-point advantage over second-place Joey Logano.
● Harvick earned his seventh top-10 of the season and his 18th top-10 in 37 career NASCAR Cup Series starts on the oval at Charlotte.
● Harvick is the only NASCAR Cup Series driver to have finished in the top-10 in every race this season.
● This was Harvick’s second straight top-10 at Charlotte’s oval. He finished 10th in the last year’s Coca-Cola 600.
● Harvick has finished outside the top-10 at Charlotte’s oval just twice since joining SHR in 2014.
The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Alsco Uniforms 500k on Wednesday, May 27 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. The race starts at 8 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FS1 and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.